Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) for Men
In recent years, our understanding of low testosterone in men has changed. Many of the testosterone deficiency symptoms men experience have been associated with the aging process rather than due to hormonal changes in the male body.
Women experience similar hormonal changes and the medical profession relates their symptoms to menopause. There is a male equivalent, andropause. The primary difference between menopause and andropause is that men experience the hormonal changes through a much slower process.
Too often men are advised to treat only the symptoms of their condition (such as taking anti-depressants or cholesterol-lowering medications). Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) gets to the core root of many of the problems men have during andropause.
SYMPTOMS OF LOW TESTOSTERONE
Testosterone is the predominant male sex hormone. Not only is testosterone associated with sexual performance and other male characteristics, it is important to other physical, emotional and health benefits for men. When testosterone hormone levels decrease and get out of balance, men experience a broad range of symptoms.
Testosterone levels peak during a man’s late 20s. As males age, their ability to produce testosterone decreases and with lower levels of testosterone, men often experience some of the following symptoms:
- Loss of libido (sexual desire) and poor erections (erectile dysfunction)
- Depression, mood swings and irritability
- Inability to focus, concentrate and remember
- Reduced energy
- Weight gain, a decrease in body mass and strength and an increase in body
- Lowered sperm count and fertility
Outward signs of low testosterone include:
- A decrease in body mass and strength due to a loss in muscle tissue
- A loss of body hair
- Breast enlargement
- Testes may become smaller and softer
In fact, many physical signs of aging like muscle aches and wrinkles, have been attributed to low testosterone levels.
Restore Your Vitality
Studies have shown that the male physiology cannot function unless testosterone levels are adequate. Once testosterone levels drop, all other hormone and neurotransmitter activity in the male body is affected.
With replacement hormone therapy you can likely slow down, stop or possible reverse signs of aging. You will restore energy levels and function at a much higher level. No more foggy thinking, lack of stamina or problems with sexual performance.
Testosterone replacement therapy treatment options include injections, gels, creams and testosterone patches. Our specialized staff will review treatment and help you choose which is best for your specific symptoms and medical needs.
HORMONES LEVELS WE TEST FOR:
- Estrogen- total amount and amount available
- Progesterone- correct balance with other hormones
- Testicular Hormones
- Testosterone- total amount and amount available
- Dihydrotestosterone- amount of used testosterone
- PSA- Prostate Specific Antigens for prostate health
- Adrenal- (For stress, energy, immune system)
- Cortisol- stress hormones
- DHEA- helps make other hormones
- Thyroid- (For your metabolism)
- TSH- Thyroid Stimulating Hormones
- Complete blood count, metabolic profile
- Hemoglobin A1C, Insulin and Lipid Panel
- Vitamin D and Iron
- Prolactin and Luteinizing Hormone
- Zinc and Vitamin D
If you are worried that you might be feeling the effects of andropause and want to learn more about safe and effective treatment options such as hormone replacement therapy, contact Danville Holistic Medical Center to schedule a private complimentary consultation.